Saturday, January 15, 2011

The Beginning and The End of Something Catchey

Really not sure what to say.  I know the general idea, but the approach is still out there...waiting.
Maybe what I learned from teaching this class, THE BLOG, is where to begin. 
First, the most fun stuff in life is stuff we want to do.  One of our bloggers loves to play video games.  It's a passion.  Decades ago I was into Pac-Man.  I enjoyed those days.  A spare 10 minutes here, an hour there.  I could never talk about it because I felt guilty.  Now at 62, I still care what you think, but not nearly as much as when I was younger trying to be somebody before I got old.  The Blog was fun for my students until they learned that proof reading was necessary, and three blogs per week were required.  THREE BLOGS PER WEEK?!  EACH BLOG ABOUT 300 WORDS!!  (So far 150 words) That's where I learned again that when you make someone do something it can evaporate the passion and joy.  Blog was fun until, "I have to do all this for Blogging."
Second, it is rather predictable what will happen when you give people a choice.  I gave my class a choice.  It was hard.  I made no judgement statements.  I never ridiculed.  I simply said, "You don't have to do another blog and you'll still receive an A!"  Generally speaking, only one student continued to Blog.  One.  I'm not fooled.  I didn't ask, but part of that was the parental influence.  But that is as it should be.  Parents actually saying, you will continue to be responsible.  What would you do if you had been in my class?  You get an A and you never have to do another assignment-unless you want to.  This was scary for me.  This was hard to justify, because I can't justify anything about this concept.  But it was beautiful.  Students couldn't play games, they couldn't sleep, they couldn't search face book over and over again, they had to work on other school work.  It was beautiful.  In every case, students worked harder and produced more school work than would have been normally required in the Blog class.  Yet, "I don't have to do Blog, I' ve got it made," was still the preferred trade.  I'll finish this later.
I should say the following: I had great students.  Amazing (I hate that word) students.  They are talented, creative, and loaded with potential.  I loved blog class because of my students.  Engaging with my students provides me with great joy and meaning.  (I'm trying really hard to not proof read this Blog)

No comments:

Post a Comment